We have moved!

Update! This site has moved to http://www.countingmypennies.com/. Please update your links if possible and come visit the new site! No new posts will be added to this site - all updates will be done at Counting My Pennies. Thanks for reading!

Monday, May 19, 2008

What to stimulate

Last week, I got the notice in the mail that I would be receiving my stimulus check soon. I mentally plugged the extra $600 into my budget and pondered what I would do with the money.

Sadly, I don't have anything exciting planned. I didn't budget well this month for my upcoming vacation and all the associated expenses, so in YNAB, I'm already a bit over budget. Not a big deal, since I live off of last month's income, but it just meant that things would be a little tight again next month. I can't say I was worried, seeing as June is a 3 paycheck month. Of course, one of my plans for 2008 is to bank the "extra" paycheck in all 3 paycheck months, but to cover my overages this month, I was going to bank most of it, put the rest toward the budget overages, and then attempt to make it up throughout the year by putting a bit more into savings than planned.

Thanks to the stimulus check, I might still be able to bank that entire paycheck. Of course, I'm not expecting to be $600 overbudget. I considered putting the rest into savings, but I looked at some of my upcoming expenses and instead decided to plug the rest into my various budget categories for future expenses. Some will go into the grocery budget, some into car expenses, some towards my upcoming renters insurance payment, and then as a treat, a little bit into my wishlist fund and maybe a little into my restaurant category.

Nothing too exciting, but it will free up the budget a bit. Ideally, I'd like to be padding each of my budget categories every month so that I do end the month with a bit of a cushion. So far, that's not working so well, but maybe the stimulus will do just that - stimulate my budget to work even better for me.

No comments: