We have moved!

Update! This site has moved to http://www.countingmypennies.com/. Please update your links if possible and come visit the new site! No new posts will be added to this site - all updates will be done at Counting My Pennies. Thanks for reading!

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

You got back how much?

In today's Express, there is a little blurb that states that 47 million tax returns have been filed so far this year, 38 million of them filed electronically. The shocking part of the blurb? The average refund was $2708! That is an amazing amount of money to be overpaying in taxes. Of course, I'm sure the refunds are in large part due to various deductions, but I was delighted to find out that I was getting nearly $500 back (to counter the nearly $800 I paid to two states).


I know that a lot of people like the idea of a refund, but personally, I'd rather have to pay the government at tax time. Ideally, I'd break even (which I feel I got very close to this year). But I would prefer to have the money when I earned it to do with it what I want, rather than get it back later and have given the government that large of an interest free loan.


Just my opinion though, and I know there are strong proponents of large refunds. I bet it is fun to find that amount direct deposited in your account one morning.

No comments: