We have moved!

Update! This site has moved to http://www.countingmypennies.com/. Please update your links if possible and come visit the new site! No new posts will be added to this site - all updates will be done at Counting My Pennies. Thanks for reading!

Sunday, March 23, 2008

eBay Mania!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been working on decluttering my home. That has meant throwing some things out, starting a pile for Goodwill, and listing items for sale on eBay and half.com. I've been a half.com seller for quite some time (great way to get rid of textbooks, even those you think are out of date).

I had four auctions finish this week, and all four items sold! I'm very pleased about that. Two sold at the list price, which isn't great, but hey, if they hadn't sold, I was just going to donate them or toss them, so I'm happy to have a few extra dollars in my pocket after all fees are paid and items are shipped. Two sold for more than I had hoped, which definitely brightens my day. I still haven't received payment for one, and I'm a little apprehensive about that, as it sold for $50 to an eBay member without much history, but I'm going to do everything I can to protect myself on that sale.

The downside to selling on eBay and half.com for me means that I have to visit eBay and half.com and see all the things they have for sale. Movies that are on my wishlist being sold for under $2, great books, etc. I just remind myself that I can't buy anything right now. This month's budget is finished, and until I have saved up for my upcoming vacations and various bills, there will be no fun spending.

A lot of people say that selling on eBay isn't worth it because you don't get a good value for the item. But in my opinion, if I'm not using the item, it's not worth anything to me. Something shoved in a box in the back of a closet has no value, no matter what I paid for it. Sure, I'm not going to sell something I bought for $100 for 99 cents, but if I can get $50 for it, I'll be very happy.

I've decided to keep a spreadsheet of what I sell and don't sell and all the various fees associated with the sale to see a true representation of how much money I'm making (or rather, recouping) by these sales. So far, even if the open auctions don't sell, I'm still ahead a decent chunk of money. Every cent helps!

2 comments:

Andy said...

Well done on ebay. I need to sell some stuff as well, just have to find time to list it!

Charls King said...

Hi,

Today I have visited your blog and found some quality information. I think you have maintained a great blog. That's why we would like to exchange links with your blog.

My blog is : http://financeclassic.blogspot.com/

Please send me your link info.

Waiting for your reply.

With Best Regards,
Charles