We have moved!

Update! This site has moved to http://www.countingmypennies.com/. Please update your links if possible and come visit the new site! No new posts will be added to this site - all updates will be done at Counting My Pennies. Thanks for reading!

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Suze Orman's Top 10 List for 2008

On last night's Suze Orman Show, Suze gave a top ten list of things to do for 2008:

Suze's Top Ten List for 2008

  1. Try to get out of credit card debt.
  2. Begin a 6-8 month emergency fund
  3. Sign up for your 401(k) to the point of the match, then fund a Roth IRA
  4. Look for the best buy on a home. Purchase only if you have enough for a 10%-20% down payment and qualify for a 30-15 year fixed mortgage.
  5. Never loan money or co-sign for someone
  6. Annuities - single premium deferred annuity is ok, but never buy variable annuities within a retirement account
  7. Buy individual bonds, not bond funds
  8. Get a will and a living revocable trust
  9. Get term life insurance only
  10. Buy no-load mutual funds only.
I'm pretty good on most of these, but not all of them, and it's a good goal to work towards. I do still rent my home, but mainly because I'm not sure that I plan to stay in this area long term. I'm giving myself 2 years, and then I'll make a decision. The other thing that I absolutely need to do this year is set up a will. I really should have done this years ago, but like so many people, I don't like to think about it. My uncle is an estate lawyer and would do it for me, but I only see him on holidays, and well, at Christmas, the last thing I want to think about is my demise.

So that is my goal from this list. How about you?

No comments: